The sane or silly test
Deciding on the best way to stay healthy can often seem awfully complicated and confusing. For instance, should you stop eating eggs, and butter to protect your heart and replace them with low fat foods from the supermarket that usually contain added sugar?
Thinking about the problem in terms of sane or silly can help. So, the first two have been in our diets for 1000s of years, while the last one is an industrial product that is likely to push up your blood glucose. Pretty obvious that butter and eggs are sane, while packaged low fat is silly and the latest science agrees.
People and ideas we think are sane
- Doctors who diagnose and prescribe based on who you are and what your life is like, not just on blood tests.
- Dieticians and doctors who don’t warn that cutting carbohydrate consumption and replacing it with fat is dangerous and unhealthy.
- Consultants who take a positive interest when you tell them a diet or some non-drug therapy greatly improved your symptoms.
- Clinicians who don’t dismiss placebo effects as worthless.
- Government policy that doesn’t just urge people to eat more healthily but puts proper money into schemes to help them do it.
People and ideas we think are silly
- Commentators who believe randomised controlled trials are the only valid way of proving a treatment works and is safe.
- Commentators who turn a blind eye to the evidence that many prescribed drugs are neither effective nor safe.
- The lip service paid to the benefits of lifestyle in cutting disease risk that is rapidly followed by repeat prescribing.
- The belief that everyone can still absorb the same amount of minerals and vitamins from their food when they are 60 as they did at 20.
- That the best way to treat older people is to give them a standard amount of drugs to treat each disorder as it emerges
- Calling for non-drug treating to be properly tested in trials and then ignoring the results when they are shown to be safe and effective.
Tell us your favourite examples of policies, people and products that are sane or silly, using the comments below!